In the night of 22/23 November 1943 Kaiser-Wilhelm Memorial Church caught fire due to an air raid causing the top of the head tower to break. To some extent the destroyed tower became a landmark of West Berlin as well as a monument to peace and reconciliation.
The majority of the church ruins were demolished and supplemented by modern new buildings (designed by Egon Eiermann) between 1959 and 1961.
In addition the the regular church services, concerts take place on a regular basis since the acoustics are extraordinarily superb.
What’s more is that the initiative “Kirche PositHIV” has been permanently presented in the Memorial Church since 2017 and that “HuK e.V” will celebrate their annual festival service prior to the Berlin Pride on 27. Jul 2018.