Magnus Hirschfeld monument
The Magnus Hirschfeld monument consisting of six 4 meter high rainbow-coloured calla lilies was inaugurated on the 7.9.2017 at Magnus-Hirschfeld-Ufer in memory of the world’s first homosexual rights movement. It’s situated directly opposite the German Chancellery, where Hirschfeld’s “Institute for Sexual Science” used to be.
The first homosexual rights movement began in 1897 with the founding of the Scientific Humanitarian Committee (WhK) in Berlin. Hirschfeld’s work in the movement had a global influence on the abolition of anti-homosexual statutory offences.
The initiative for the monument came from the Lesbian and Gay Federation in Germany (LSVD) and the motive was selected by a jury from five drafts from UdK students.
The calla lilies chosen for the monument are of great symbolic importance: the have male and female flowers on one and the same plant. This makes the monument at Magnus-Hirschfeld-Ufer a colourful symbol for the diversity of sexual identities worth seeing.